Saturday 25 January 2014

The Perfect Valentine's Day Meal

This year, Valentine's day falls on a Friday which means it's the perfect time to plan a weekend away. Superbreaks currently have some amazing deals on city breaks, including romantic trips to Paris. This post counts as my entry to the Superbreaks Valentine's competition which is currently running to win a one night Eurostar break to Paris for two. 
(Fingers crossed, if I win I can finally cross off some items from my 30 before 30 list!)

For those of you who don't know, I work in a hospital and have to work several different shifts. Last Valentine's day I was working a late shift so instead of having a romantic evening meal, hubby and I decided on something a little different and had a Valentine's breakfast instead!

The day before, we both shopped for the different components, sausages, bacon, mushrooms, eggs, beans (spaghetti shapes in my case - I don't like beans!) which I think is a nice "coupley" thing to do and instead of one of us cooking, we both cooked together so it was fair.

As a little bit of extra effort we even cut the fried bread into heart shapes and I used my heart craft punch and some red mirrored card to make some table confetti. As a surprise hubby had picked up a chocolate rose which we added to the table and a beautiful bunch of red tulips (as tulips are my favourite flowers).

Although it is nice to be treated by your partner on Valentine's day, I thought that it was more special that we worked together and it wasn't all left to one of us - unfortunately I had to go to work shortly after and left him with the washing up though! Cheeky!


Do you or your partner cook on Valentine's Day or do you head out to a restaurant?


9 comments:

  1. Ahh I love the idea of a Valentine's breakfast! We may have to do that this year as I think my shift on Valentine's is a late one :/

    Jess xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a really sweet and thoughtful idea :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the look of that breakfast yum... I will be flying to Amsterdam on V Day this year x
    Beautyqueenuk xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh lovely! I've never been, i'll look out for a blog post on it! Lol xx

      Delete
  4. Ooh that looks lovely! :) We cooked for our first V-day together, went to a restaurant the second and now back to cooking! We always do it together as it is nice :) Love your idea of the brekkie :)

    www.gingerbreadsmiles.co.uk
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. we stay in as our anniversary is so close to Valentines so we just stay in and have one of the meal deal (£10 for wine, main, side and pudding) from Tesco or one of the other local supermarkets.
    http://www.joannavictoria.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great idea for when you're working in the evening!
    My partner doesn't like to celebrate Valentines day! He says 'why do I need a special day to tell you I Love You' - It's kinda sweet I guess, but he just doesn't want to spend the money - haha! The 15th is my birthday anyway and I'm usually too excited for that to care! :D
    I love seeing couples do things like this! The fried bread is too cute! :D
    Ellie,xx
    Elephant stories and more

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds really fun - you can never go wrong with a fry up! We don't celebrate Valentines so it'll be like any old Friday for us.

    ReplyDelete